Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A great message from a graduate on the impact of youth ministry.

Fail to prepare, and prepare to fail. It’s a great phrase and this was one of the only things I kept in my head from physics class junior year.  Every test there would be someone complaining, "this test is too hard!" and my teacher, Mr. Fuchs, would quickly reply with "if you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail." 

Throughout my childhood, I have been trying to prepare for adulthood.  One of the things that I believe has helped to prepare me was being a part of the Abiding Presence Lutheran Church youth group for all these years.  In middle school I was a part of the confirmation class that helps to prepare youth to become a member of the church.  In the various confirmation classes, we learned the Ten Commandments and the meaning of the Lord’s Prayer and the Apostle’s Creed.  We also learned why we do what we do in the church, and we get a better understanding of this religion we were brought up in.  This is also the age when you travel to confirmation camp, where we get the opportunity from an early age to interact with other kids from all over the state who share our beliefs.  Camp was always a good time, and it was where the bonds were formed with my friends in the church that I still have today.

After being confirmed, I moved on to the high school Buzz sessions. We would meet for dinner on Wednesday nights and have various discussions on topics related to our age group.  Some of my school friends would say, "You have to go to church on Wednesday!? I'm sorry man!" but in reality I couldn't wait to go!  I rarely saw my friends from the church because most attended different schools, and the reality was that these where some of my only real friends.  It’s hard finding others that aren't just looking out for themselves, but when I come to Abiding Presence there are people like that all around me. 

After you become a high school student in the youth group you are invited to the Annual Sr. High Synod Gatherings in hotels all over south Texas.  Each year was a new place, but mostly the same faces we had seen before.  At each of these events, we learn different ways of promoting Christ through our actions, various skills to use in the real world, and there was always some fun stuff thrown in the middle of it all.  It was cool because you got to meet and interact with all these kids from all over the state some of which I'm still in contact with.  I believe these types of things helped me prepare for the next four years of my life.  I will be attending school out of state and I don't know a soul going there, but after years of attending these events and interacting with strangers it shouldn't be a problem.

The thing I feel to be the most important in preparing me for my future would have to be the mission trips.  This is a week-long learning experience, where you learn everything from how to scrape paint off a wall, to how to cook dinner for everyone.  One of the things I found most beneficial for me was working at the soup kitchen in Austin, TX last year.  We were given to chance to help out people that were not as well off as us and our families are.  After serving them, we had the opportunity to sit down and eat with them and get a little insight on how they live their lives.  After talking with them for a little, it was apparent that these people were smart, caring, and friendly people.  They were all very grateful for the simple service of serving them food and eating among them.  It showed me that doing things for others even if it seems like nothing to you could mean the world to that person.  I learned that day that just showing some one that you care is enough to make their day.  

"Fail to prepare and prepare to fail."  I believe that with the help of the Abiding Presence youth program and the spiritual and emotional support of the Abiding Presence family I am prepared to enter my next stage of life and see where it takes me.

Thank you and God Bless

Lane Hoggard

Blessings on your journey Lane, as we enjoy life in the wake your impact has made on us!

Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment